Tuesday, January 7, 2014

New Year 2014 from Mid-America... Part 2

First a reminder of why I need to think spring. Last night was -2º (Wind Chill -20º).


And now, back to the Mid-America 2014 Introductions:  All photos are from the Mid-America Facebook page.  My experience with Mid-America is that bloom colors are true. I wish I could say the same of all growers, including the largest.  

'Calypso Heat Wave' (Black 2014) IB
This reminds me of 'Frisky Frolic' which performs quite well in my garden.

'Commanding Presence' (Black 2014) TB
Kyle says, "No more purple!" It's a beauty though.

'Devilish' (Black 2014) IB
Thomas Johnson says, "Deep maroon to almost black tones in this cute IB of Pauls'."


'Cartoon Characters' (Black, 2014) SDB
Thomas Johnson says, "A nicely formed and patterned Standard Dwarf. The deep thumprint hafts and center belly stripe line really add to the design on this one."

This is an SDB to compliment a TB 'Rock Star,' 'Drama Queen' or 'Colortart' to extend that color combo season in one area.


'Silver Ice' (Black 2014) TET. MTB
Kyle does like white and this would have a special place in my "Tuxedo Garden."

'A Little Good News' (Thomas Johnson 2014) SDB
Thomas Johnson says, "I really like blue beards and this one really gets set off well with the yellow spot."

Thomas, this is my favorite so far.  MUST HAVE.  The white under the beard makes it perfect.  If this dos not grow for me in upstate NY it will break my heart!


'Bigger Is Better' (Thomas Johnson 2014) TB
Thomas Johnson says, "The bigger in this one is the beard, it is obscenely large. Great buds, show stems and growth as well. Was on the fence on introducing this one as the flowers are held a bit loosely but after heavy winds and rains this past spring their structure remained intact."

Obsecene?  I'm no prude, but that scares me a bit!



Coralina (Thomas Johnson 2014) TB
That pink blush always catches my eye!

'Mister Mistoffelees' (Black 2014) SDB

How many cats are left, Paul?  It's adorable.

'Jewels' (Thomas Johnson 2014) SDB
Thomas Johnson says, "A fun color pattern on this very floriferous Standard Dwarf. At 14 inches it is at the upper end of the class."

Really is fun.  What color is it though?

Raining Cats And Dogs (Black 2014) TB

'Get Rhythm' (Thomas Johnson 2014) TB
Thomas Johnson says, "I'm introducing quite few different lined ones this year. This one is a bit shorter at about 32 inches. Great stems, buds and vigorous growth. Also proving itself as a parent for nicely formed lined kids"

When I visited Mid America in 2012, Thomas said he was work on the lined look.  That tangerine beard beautifully separates the fall from the standard.


'Simply Coral' (Black 2014) Small Flowered TB
Thomas Johnson says, "One of the lovlies from Paul's small flowered TB line. As one would expect from this line lots of buds, show stems and strong growth. Makes a beautiful clump covered in blooms."

I have a Small flowered TB from Paul in my garden, 'Are You Crazy?'  I did not bloom yet.
I have been told that they won't show well, but with lots of buds, who knows?


'Clear Blue Waters' (Thomas Johnson 2014) SDB
Thomas Johnson says, "This is the last of a series of Blue SDB's that I have done the last few years. This is probably my favorite for color. It is an extremely clear blue and the lighter patch around the near white beard really brightens the whole effect in the garden like shining a spotlight on it. An easy grower with good buds."

I have 'Clear Blue Sky' from last year.  This looks less veined.



'Joyful Love' (Thomas Johnson 2014) SDB
Thomas Johnson says, "This one is a garden pleaser to say the least. Very early to bloom with strong growth and tons of bloom with good form and a bright clear color."


'Hello Darling' (Thomas Johnson 2014) TB
Thomas Johnson says, "Such a bright cheery Iris that is such an easy grower, always makes me smile whenever I walk past it. Very floriferous with lots of buds and a rapid increaser."

I like the more subtle lines here.


'Die Laughing' (Black 2014) TB
Thomas Johnson says, "Paul has been working on a line of broken color that grows and flowers well. Die Laughing has that nice healthy growth and stems."

This will join the Zurbriggs in my "Bestiary Garden."


'Wild And Crazy' (Black 2014) TB
 Thomas Johnson says, "A nicely formed good growing glaciata."

I have heard the term and I finally looked it up!  From Chuck Chapman's site: GLACIATA - Flower has no purple or red pigment and is a very clean white, pink or yellow.  Odd name for such a delicate an pure flower.


'Berserk' (Thomas Johnson 2014
Thomas Johnson says, "My obsession with the lines continues with Berserk. Nice pattern here with good ruffles. An early bloomer on the shorter side of the TB class."

Looks like some nice lace on the standard. Cleanly lined falls with little distraction

No comments:

Post a Comment